Daytona Road Course
One Daytona Boulevard Daytona Beach, FL 32114
The 3.81-mile road course was built in 1959 and first hosted a three-hour sports car race called the Daytona Continental in 1962. The race length became 1,200 mi in 1964, and in 1966 was extended to a 24-hour endurance race known as the Rolex 24 at Daytona. It was shortened again to six hours in 1972 and the 1974 rendition of the race was cancelled entirely.
In 1973, a sharp chicane was added at the end of the backstretch, approaching oval turn three.
In 1984 and 1985, the layout was modified, re-profiling turns 1 and 2, and moving what is now turn 3 closer to its adjacent turns. In addition, the chicane on the backstretch was modified. A new entry leg was constructed approximately 400 feet earlier, resulting in a longer, three-legged, 'bus stop' shape. Cars would now enter in the first leg, bypass the second leg, and exit out of the existing third leg. Passing would now be possible inside the longer chicane. The construction resulted in a final length of 3.56 miles for the complete road course.
In 2003, the chicane was modified once again. The middle leg was repaved and widened, and now cars would enter through the first leg, and exit out of the second leg. The existing third leg was abandoned. This allowed cars a cleaner entry into oval turn three. After favorable results, in 2010 the third leg was dug up, and removed permanently.
Cup Series Pole Winners at Daytona Road Course
Cup Series Race Winners at Daytona Road Course
Cup Series Winning Manufacturers at Daytona Road Course