COTA Thread

ControlCar

Oh yeah
Agreed on 9car’s ‘win’

remember the 77car’s race shortened win at Daytona?????
Was an act of Congress to get that race called
For a scrub driver/team

Rusty

Agreed
Dangerous at speed
(Y’all saw 19car’s in board camera……couldn’t see 2ft in front of car)
And rooster tails so high, no decent footage of the 4cars rear end impact by 23car

but
Some improvements can be made/mandated by Nascar
1-wipers
Some cars had such pathetic wiper motors was laughable
Other teams (Penske) had much better wipers
IMO. It’s a safety thing
The BEST wiper system needs to mandated by Nascar
2-defogger system
I swear I saw some cars windshields that you couldn’t see out of……at 20MPH much less 120mph
Again the BEST defogg system needs to be mandated for all teams
3-those red lights in rear window
They need to be bigger/multiple/flashing more

I thought one of most exciting race of season
(Anything could happen at any time)
But
Not at expense of drivers safety
Great observations! I noticed that some of the cars either had inoperative wipers or were choosing not to use them. Maybe some were using Rain-X? At any rate, they should have been on and working a whole lot better than they were. Pathetic is a good description.

The lights on the backs of the cars were really inadequate. They only went on if the car braked. Cars on the interstates have their taillights on in rain and those lights get brighter, with a high-mounted brake light if they get on the brakes. Why not mandate actually running lights that can be seen at any time and have those brake lights really bright LED strobes?

All that said though, when it started raining hard and the cars were throwing those rooster tails on the long straightaway it was time to throw the red flag.

Tombo

Great observations! I noticed that some of the cars either had inoperative wipers or were choosing not to use them. Maybe some were using Rain-X? At any rate, they should have been on and working a whole lot better than they were. Pathetic is a good description.

The lights on the backs of the cars were really inadequate. They only went on if the car braked. Cars on the interstates have their taillights on in rain and those lights get brighter, with a high-mounted brake light if they get on the brakes. Why not mandate actually running lights that can be seen at any time and have those brake lights really bright LED strobes?

All that said though, when it started raining hard and the cars were throwing those rooster tails on the long straightaway it was time to throw the red flag.
Easiest fix would be to red flag during downpours period.

ControlCar

I don’t think was the amount of rain falling but the water buildup on the track
Especially that long straight where (pretty sure) both rear end crashes occurred

Nascar did(after 2nd rear end crash):
-Put air titans on track
-Had some crazy pit stop were only 3 crew members could help with driver vision issues
Only

needs some tweaking
But
I’m partial to Rd Courses and SS’s
(Both of which I suck at scoring….5yrs running!)

Argonaut

I like all of your ideas on avoiding another disaster like that race where driver safety was obviously not a proority - I'm not a fan of random bad luck taking guys out in an unsafe environment and then calling the race with no transparent rules/conditions on how they decide to call the race.

Juneau4

In reading posts about rigged races and being someone who has followed NASCAR for 50 years plus I have to make a statement:
In my opinion NASCAR has never made a fix on races-Drivers may have done it where they have allowed someone to win and then had the race for 2nd.
The best example I can think of is where drivers rigged a race is when Dale Jr. won at Daytona in July, following his fathers death in Feb. in the Daytona 500. (my opinion)

The 2 experimental races this year (Bristol dirt and COTA in rain) have been a disaster. Car owners don't want to see wrecks and drivers don't want to get hurt. NASCAR, owners, and drivers will get most of the mess cleaned up for the future races.

On to the QUEEN CITY :cool:

beervo2

Rock On
Staff member
In reading posts about rigged races and being someone who has followed NASCAR for 50 years plus I have to make a statement:
In my opinion NASCAR has never made a fix on races-Drivers may have done it where they have allowed someone to win and then had the race for 2nd.
The best example I can think of is where drivers rigged a race is when Dale Jr. won at Daytona in July, following his fathers death in Feb. in the Daytona 500. (my opinion)

The 2 experimental races this year (Bristol dirt and COTA in rain) have been a disaster. Car owners don't want to see wrecks and drivers don't want to get hurt. NASCAR, owners, and drivers will get most of the mess cleaned up for the future races.

That race in Daytona was exactly why I mentioned Dale Jr. in my post... One of those things that makes you go ummm......:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Argonaut

I dont think it was a fix but the rules by which they call a race over are not readily apparent especially after multiple cars have already gotten taken out by getting plowed into or plowing into someone from behind (or in the case of the 19, both) when it's clearly not safe to continue. The rules should be pretty obvious and clear is all I'm saying.

Tombo

I've been watching nascar for 30 years and guarantee the last 15 have obviously been rigged scripted and manipulated.

Sleestak

It never crossed my mind that the COTA race was fixed until I read it here. Usually those situations are dictated by radar and sunlight remaining. Obviously they didn't have to get the track DRY, but the rain did need to stop and they did need to remove standing water and there weren't lights as far as I know so. ... Rain shortened race is what I saw. 9 was the beneficiary and Oh by the way had won 5 of the previous 7 road course races so did he really get a freebie pity win?