Adding Drivers

ThatGuy

I did watch the video, and the implication is that drivers can be added to groups as the season goes on (as they become available). When I set up the league I did not remove any drivers from the groups, just changed some around. Possibly before some were announced and I did not get a chance to go back and change.

I am missing several drivers from the groups. Is there anyway these can be just stuck in the "C" group? Guys like Allmendinger and Grala. If I go to create a new league they are there, but I know when I set up the league I didn't remove any driver completely from a group. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JOLT Racing

I noticed Grala was missing, but see Allmendinger is missing from my league too.
They got Allmendinger in the C group of DGG league. And now if you go to Commissioner>Drivers it says: The first race of your league has begun. You can no longer change the Driver Options for it.

nascargeek

Chief cook and bottle washer
Staff member
I did watch the video, and the implication is that drivers can be added to groups as the season goes on (as they become available). When I set up the league I did not remove any drivers from the groups, just changed some around. Possibly before some were announced and I did not get a chance to go back and change.

I am missing several drivers from the groups. Is there anyway these can be just stuck in the "C" group? Guys like Allmendinger and Grala. If I go to create a new league they are there, but I know when I set up the league I didn't remove any driver completely from a group. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I unlocked the 'locked' setting for making changes to leagues. See if you can now see the drivers in the Driver Pool in the Commissioner section and drag them to the group you want. Be sure to 'Save' when done.

ThatGuy

Thank you nascargeek. I still don't have Grala as a choice? I was able to put Dinger and Dillon back in tho. So much appreciated.

nascargeek

Staff member
Ok. He should be in the Pool. Refresh if on page. I'll look into who else is coming up I don't have. Or, let me know here.

ThatGuy

Sounds good. I know Kaulig is going to cycle the guys through, in my group Haley was already there.
As of now I don't know of anyone running. This week's entry list looks complete in the group.
Thank you.

And what if a commissioner never sees that the additional drivers need to be entered for a given race, like this week's race? For leagues that intend on following the same default rules as the DGG, and chose the "default rules" option at the beginning of the season, can't these changes automatically follow the DGG league?

crashthe24

Staff member
there a few leagues out there where the commish quit playing after year one but the league kept playing.
nobody got control of the commish to change groups or drivers and they are just out of luck with adding drivers in.

nascargeek

Staff member
So y'all know (and I think those of you that even somewhat know me know), I'm not 'knocking ideas down' by defending (explaining?) them, nor should the implication be that because something works as it currently does that it is such because I've thought it through and that is the way I want it to be.

I don't see DGG as 'my game. my rules.'

And what if a commissioner never sees that the additional drivers need to be entered for a given race, like this week's race? For leagues that intend on following the same default rules as the DGG, and chose the "default rules" option at the beginning of the season, can't these changes automatically follow the DGG league?

if I really had the logic in place to identify that a league -- which currently has 63 different settings possible...someone better than me at math could figure out how many different combinations that could create -- had the same settings as the default DGG league, then I could add drivers in as they come along into leagues driver groups. As it is though, I can't because I don't know if the intention of that commissioner is to have Jamie McMurray or AJ Allmendinger in their C group when he's available.

Maybe it is a custom league and adding those drivers could throw things awry in their league by doing that? Or, they may not agree with my group choice? There's a lot of different questions that come up. And that's where the commissioner of the league has to shoulder some responsibility to commission his league.

An additional real example downside of adding McMurray in the C group is that there are currently over 500 entries for race #2 that have McMurray carried over on their entry from the previous week. If I kept the default C Group driver list 'tighter' to just those racing each week it would keep that from happening. Lot's of questions.

I could also implement entry duplication across leagues -- duplicating a race entry from one league to others with one click.

The default DGG league was created so everyone could be in a big public league against others and know that their score was earned by the standard Yahoo scoring of old. I put everyone in the DGG League by default and created a firestorm of a bitchfest about 'how to leave the DGG League' :LOL::ROFLMAO:(n)

nascargeek

Staff member
there a few leagues out there where the commish quit playing after year one but the league kept playing.
nobody got control of the commish to change groups or drivers and they are just out of luck with adding drivers in.

I changed a few commissioners. Glad to change more as I learn about them. The inbox is jammed packed with questions answered in the FAQs, in the videos and in the leagues themselves. The struggle to maintain calm and continue to waste time trudging through the trivial 'why? why? why?' emails to get to the ones that really need help (like changing commissioners) is real man.

I started a League Commissioner Change Request forum. Point people to it as you hear the need. I'll put it on the reminder email as well.

crashthe24

Staff member
the one league i knew a few players in only had 4 show up this year because of a lack of commish, but we got many of them into other leagues anyway. not a big deal for me.

runs on wine

Unsure if I can add a driver who is not in the 'pool' and how to do it. For instance would like to add Gase, Bilicki, Heckert who are entered in the Daytona Road race.

So y'all know (and I think those of you that even somewhat know me know), I'm not 'knocking ideas down' by defending (explaining?) them, nor should the implication be that because something works as it currently does that it is such because I've thought it through and that is the way I want it to be.

if I really had the logic in place to identify that a league -- which currently has 63 different settings possible...someone better than me at math could figure out how many different combinations that could create -- had the same settings as the default DGG league, then I could add drivers in as they come along into leagues driver groups. As it is though, I can't because I don't know if the intention of that commissioner is to have Jamie McMurray or AJ Allmendinger in their C group when he's available.

Maybe it is a custom league and adding those drivers could throw things awry in their league by doing that? Or, they may not agree with my group choice? There's a lot of different questions that come up. And that's where the commissioner of the league has to shoulder some responsibility to commission his league.

An additional real example downside of adding McMurray in the C group is that there are currently over 500 entries for race #2 that have McMurray carried over on their entry from the previous week. If I kept the default C Group driver list 'tighter' to just those racing each week it would keep that from happening. Lot's of questions.

I could also implement entry duplication across leagues -- duplicating a race entry from one league to others with one click.

The default DGG league was created so everyone could be in a big public league against others and know that their score was earned by the standard Yahoo scoring of old. I put everyone in the DGG League by default and created a firestorm of a bitchfest about 'how to leave the DGG League' :LOL::ROFLMAO:(n)
Thank you for the insight. Those are some very good points.
First, let me say that I have been a huge admirer of your work since I discovered it in 2011. I was so relieved to find out that you were coding a fantasy NASCAR driver allocation type game to resume where Yahoo left off. I certainly don't want to come across as criticizing what you have done with the DGG. I love competing in this year-long strategy game against a lot of people. So, I was disappointed when we went to the custom league options because now there are far fewer competitors in any one game. I assume that the crowd that was barking the loudest for changes to the old rules were those that played in money leagues. I get that, but I think a larger number were playing in the free leagues just to compete.

We didn't have this problem last year with each commissioner having to put new drivers into groups if they were using default rules, right? Anyway, I like your idea of duplicating a race entry from one league to others with one click. This is what some in my league have asked for. They then quit playing in the DGG league because they did not want to enter multiple lineups. I don't want to have to keep up with multiple lineups either so I will drop out of the Fantasy Racing Cheat Sheet league if its commissioner does not add the part time drivers in this week.

Again, I applaud your work Darren and will keep playing in the DGG! You cannot please everyone all of the time and I understand that.

Tombo

I do like the "like" being back.thank you.