suggestions for 2023 edition of DGG.

crashthe24

Staff member
Darren is going to recode a bunch of the DGG site in the off season.
anything you'd like to see changed as a commish or player can be posted here and Darren will take a look and review it with the lords of the seven kingdoms.
then it gets run by the law offices of Dewey Cheetum and Howe.
but seriously, this is your chance to at least bend his ear.

Juneau4

1 less A drivers or only 8 starts instead of 9. 63 starts for 36 races is to many. (1 less is my preference.)
Fewer B drivers 108 starts to many.
No qualifying points or partial locks. With no practices prior to partial locks every pick is just a guess.
Truck league seems fine. Qualifying pts. could be dropped-they're just gimme points.
Just my thoughts

Fat Cat

Our pay league (Fast Class Racing) absolutely loves DGG and maxes out on our 50-player limit.
I'm aware of a number of our players that contribute to Darren (both 2021 and this year) to help
support his great creation and all the work that continually goes on with it.
I wish Darren would charge an annual entry fee to join DGG, even if it was only around $5.
Driver Group Game provides a really fun (almost) year-round experience that we all treasure
every year!

Dawg

Yeah, a couple of things. One is most certainly pilot error, but I've been ponying up at full owner fee since this thing was in infancy. Why do I always show up as a new member? No biggie, just wondering what I'm doing wrong 🤔.
Also, I don't know if it's still out there in the digital NASCAR universe, but for years there was a spreadsheet I went to when Yahoo was running that allowed you to pick a race and compare a driver lap by lap against 2 or 3 other drivers for past races at that track. Each driver was a color coded line. A line graph from lap 1 to ??? would indicate race position per lap. Each row is race position, each column was lap number. It wouldn't be much help comparing the new car to past races, but I figure this car will be around awhile. I used it all the time, unlike all the gadgets available now. I just pay the Owner rate to help keep this thing afloat. Anyway, Darren,..you may know who published that or know someone who does.
BTW; I like the driver start allocation as is, qualifying and stage points as well. It doesn't make sense to not emulate NASCAR to try and garner points the same as the actual drivers do.

Juneau4

Drivers don't earn any points in qualifying, That's another reason why I believe qualifying points should be discontinued.

Dawg

Drivers don't earn any points in qualifying, That's another reason why I believe qualifying points should be discontinued.
You're correct, but they do get rewarded by first shot at pit stall selection. Fantasy rewards are points 🤷‍♂️.
In the NFL you lose yardage when you're sacked, in my fantasy league you lose 2 points.
It's just in perception. Find a reasonable solution to reward or punish based on performance where it makes since.
I don't consider qualifying points a gimme because it plays into strategy, at least for me. RE: I'm saving starts for drivers B & K because I feel someone else has just as good a shot at winning the next few races, but B & K have a history of qualifying well at the tracks in question. So no qualifying points removes a specific strategy that I employ several times a year, whether I'm at the driver allocation point yet or not.
I know several people who employ the same strategy. ✌

Species 8472

1 less A drivers or only 8 starts instead of 9. 63 starts for 36 races is to many. (1 less is my preference.)
No qualifying points or partial locks. With no practices prior to partial locks every pick is just a guess.
Truck league seems fine. Qualifying pts. could be dropped-they're just gimme points.
Just my thoughts
Right now Each Commish has the ability to choose for his/her league which and how many drivers are A,B and C, the number of starts for your drivers, and if you want qualifying points, or stage points, or do not, and what points are awarded for finishing positions in the races

Juneau4

Right now Each Commish has the ability to choose for his/her league which and how many drivers are A,B and C, the number of starts for your drivers, and if you want qualifying points, or stage points, or do not, and what points are awarded for finishing positions in the races
That's true what you stated: The original post was for recommendations for the DGG league, not for private leagues, public individual leagues, or any other league that exists within the DGG site. The things I stated were for the DGG league.

Species 8472

That's true what you stated: The original post was for recommendations for the DGG league, not for private leagues, public individual leagues, or any other league that exists within the DGG site. The things I stated were for the DGG league.
Agree on number of drivers and starts. Would also like to see the "C" driver list cut down. I have 18 and all have raced this season

Juneau4

Agree on number of drivers and starts. Would also like to see the "C" driver list cut down. I have 18 and all have raced this season
If you reduce the number of A&B drivers you will have more C drivers, so you reduce the number of C starts to 3 or 4.

crashthe24

Staff member
i have no desire to max my 3 starts on ty dillon, corie lajoie, or todd gilliland which is a possibility with 3 starts for C.
i'd go the other way and make C list a 12 start group so you don't pray for a lucky dog each week.
i hate the C list anyway which is why in my special leagues have 4 A's / 7 B's / everyone else in C so the 12th best driver on down are used.
i 'm assuming most of this discussion is changing the standard DGG game to certain starts and driver groupings.
Darren has done an awesome job of making it good for a commish to make rules the way you want them for building your own league.

Juneau4

i have no desire to max my 3 starts on ty dillon, corie lajoie, or todd gilliland which is a possibility with 3 starts for C.
i'd go the other way and make C list a 12 start group so you don't pray for a lucky dog each week.
i hate the C list anyway which is why in my special leagues have 4 A's / 7 B's / everyone else in C so the 12th best driver on down are used.
i 'm assuming most of this discussion is changing the standard DGG game to certain starts and driver groupings.
Darren has done an awesome job of making it good for a commish to make rules the way you want them for building your own league.
I'd go along with your C starts going up. Scores would also increase along with more flexibility in choosing starters and bench.

Dawg

Darren is going to recode a bunch of the DGG site in the off season.
anything you'd like to see changed as a commish or player can be posted here and Darren will take a look and review it with the lords of the seven kingdoms.
then it gets run by the law offices of Dewey Cheetum and Howe.
but seriously, this is your chance to at least bend his ear.
Make it easier to see how many starts your opponent has used for each driver.

crashthe24

Staff member
from the picks page, you can go in and see who your competition has used.
after the car number, the next column is starts used. so you could see i've used hamlin 5 times and elliot 7 and chastain 7.
you may have to go back a few races to get a bigger picture on their entire roster, but the mainly used drivers are easy to track.

crashthe24A1 Denny Hamlin#1152506200009090
A2 Chase Elliott#9722651100------0
B1 Ross Chastain#175810701008081
B2 Bubba Wallace#453654158053100108
B3 Joey Logano#2272981725------5
B4 Christopher Bell#2084123123------3
C1 Erik Jones#43824002900003636
C2 Daniel Suarez#99715001080------0

Dawg

Yeah, I had to go back race by race to through summer, scroll down every race till I find the driver I'm looking for, and take notes to get a picture of Ricky Billy's driver status for example. Annoyingly tedious.
Same with other groups.
Anyway, I won't go into site comparisons. Just thought you could get an overview for the other teams drivers same as looking at my page.

cousinsrm

Sorry for being late to the game on this..... but I want to bring up the whole NASCAR DQ debacle we've had the last few years.... If a driver is DQ'd I think their position at the checkers should NOT count. Should follow the official NASCAR final order in last place or whatever they're put at. Points can retroactively be adjusted since this is season long. If you dont want to do that across the board, then I think you should let Commissioners have the ability to adjust driver points for finishes per race. I dont mind adjusting it if is brought to my attention.

Also - I noticed that in this new design, I can see the other teams in my league and remove them, but I cant see their contact info/name like we used to. I can only see their entry name which doesnt help when you have a lot of ppl in the league. I need to be able to know which entry is what person, to track whether they've paid or whatever.

Cheers!!
BCuz

theNASCARGeek

Just my thoughts
Thats why it's customizable Juneau. This ain't Yahoo. Your league, your rules.

theNASCARGeek

Yeah, I had to go back race by race to through summer, scroll down every race till I find the driver I'm looking for, and take notes to get a picture of Ricky Billy's driver status for example. Annoyingly tedious.
Same with other groups.
Anyway, I won't go into site comparisons. Just thought you could get an overview for the other teams drivers same as looking at my page.

You'll be able to view a players starts all on one page this year

all-entries.png

Dawg

Is the rolled up number of times started per driver visible? This looks to be specific for only one race. I may not be seeing everything. ✌