NASCAR Cup Series
7:30 p.m. ETFederated Auto Parts 400 Salute to First Responders
NBCSN

NBC Sports Live

MRN

TSN

crashthe24

Staff member

Dale Earnhardt Jr. to make Xfinity Series start at Richmond on anniversary of 9/11 attacks​

By
Staff Report NASCAR.com May 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has announced his yearly NASCAR Xfinity Series start will take place at Richmond Raceway in the Go Bowling 250 (Sept. 11 at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
RELATED: Buy your tickets now | Dale Jr. United for America gear
Dale Jr 22 2021

This year’s start will come on the 20th anniversary of the 2001 attacks on Sept. 11, and he will sport a special United for America paint scheme to honor victims of 9/11 with longtime partner Unilever on the No. 8 JR Motorsports Chevrolet. In the spirit of remembrance, his paint scheme will mirror that of the 9/11 Memorial and Museum’s Tribute in Light. The blue-and-white paint scheme will feature four spotlights each representing the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and the Flight 93 Memorial site in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, with the words “Never Forget” on the lower-rear quarter panel to honor those who lost their lives during the attacks.
“It’s hard to believe it’s been 20 years since that terrible day,” Earnhardt said via a team release. “The spirit of unity and togetherness our country felt on Sept. 11 is just as relevant now as it was then. I’m honored to be driving this car and championing Unilever’s United for America program.”
Since retiring from full-time duty after the 2017 season, the 46-year-old has made one start in each of the past three seasons for the team he co-owns with sister Kelley Earnhardt Miller and Rick Hendrick, JR Motorsports. All of those starts have resulted in top fives. In 2018, he finished fourth at Richmond. In 2019, he finished fifth at Darlington Raceway, and in 2020, he also finished fifth at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
For his career, Earnhardt has 24 Xfinity Series wins and two titles. His most recent Xfinity win was also his most recent NASCAR national series win to date — in 2016 at Richmond. One of Earnhardt’s 26 Cup wins came in the sport’s first race after 9/11 at Dover International Speedway.

crashthe24

Staff member

Playoff Pulse: Analyzing the field after Darlington​

By
Staff Report NASCAR.com September 5, 2021 at 11:02 PM

After the opening race of the Round of 16 in the NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs race, here’s a brief look at the playoff picture. There are two races remaining in the Round of 16 before the field is whittled to 12, with four drivers eliminated from the postseason following the Sept. 18 race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

WINNER

Denny Hamlin avoided the pitfalls that jolted several contenders and shook up the first race of the Cup Series Playoffs, locking up a clutch first victory of the season in the Cook Out Southern 500. His fourth triumph at Darlington Raceway gave him an automatic berth in the Round of 12. He led 146 of the 367 laps to win NASCAR’s oldest 500-mile race for a third time.
RELATED: Unofficial results | At-track photos

WHO’S HOT

Kyle Larson. The regular-season champion led a race-high 156 laps and backed up his status as a Cup Series Playoffs favorite. He wound up second to a strong Joe Gibbs Racing driver for the second consecutive Darlington race.
Martin Truex Jr. The No. 19 driver rallied twice from trouble — overcoming an unscheduled stop for a loose wheel and later a pit-road speeding penalty — to finish fourth. The result marked Truex’s first top-five effort in a month.

WHO’S NOT

Kyle Busch. Busch was out shortly after Stage 2 set sail, his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota making significant contact with the Turn 2 wall. After a check at the infield care center, Busch was critical of his team’s performance, absolving Austin Dillon — the other driver involved in the incident — from blame. He’s won multiple times at Richmond and Bristol — the next two races on the schedule — but he’ll be entering those events at a deficit after finishing 35th.
William Byron. The Hendrick Motorsports driver was among the first playoff-eligible drivers to find trouble, clipping Alex Bowman on Lap 14 after his teammate slowed with a wall scrape. Byron was able to recover and be competitive for a time, but a broken valve stem and downed tire sent him hard into the wall on Lap 200.
Michael McDowell. The Daytona 500 winner acknowledged his playoff underdog status entering the final 10 races, and an early exit in the Darlington opener has him fenced into a virtual must-win scenario. His No. 34 Front Row Motorsports Ford ended the day on the wrecker’s hook after heavy contact with the inside wall, completing just 30 laps and finishing last in the 37-car field.

BUBBLE WATCH

RankDriverPoints to cutoff
9.Christopher Bell+5
10.Chase Elliott+4
11.Aric Almirola+3
12.Tyler Reddick0
——–ELIMINATION LINE———-
13.Alex Bowman0
14.Kyle Busch-2
15.William Byron-9
16.Michael McDowell-20

NEXT RACE

The NASCAR Cup Series travels to Richmond Raceway for the Federated Auto Parts 400 Salute to First Responders on Sept. 11 (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, NBC Sports App, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).

Who it favors

Kyle Busch. He leads active drivers with six wins, 18 top fives and an average finish of 6.8 at the 0.75-mile track. The only active driver with more top-10 finishes at Richmond is Kevin Harvick, who has 26 to Busch’s 24. But Harvick holds a 40-31 advantage over Busch in number of starts at Richmond.

Who it hurts

Michael McDowell. His average finish of 31.9 at Richmond is the worst among this year’s playoff drivers. McDowell’s best finish at Richmond was 12th in 2016 for Leavine Family Racing. Since moving over to Front Row Motorsports, his best finish has been 21st in 2019.

crashthe24

Staff member

Bob Pockrass

Richmond Friday (TrackPass) Mods-7:05p ET 150 laps Saturday (NBCSN)
Xfinity-2:45p ET green. stages 75-75-100 (250). Comp caution L35. 4 sets. Fuel 115-125.
Cup-7:45p ET green. stages 80-155-165 (400). Comp caution L30. 9 sets. Fuel 120-130. NWS: 80s day, 70s night, 0% rain

crashthe24

Staff member

Bob Pockrass

Kurt Busch has one of the best over-the-wall crews this yr but four members of that crew, all except fueler, are out for Richmond b/c contact tracing protocols. Ganassi will replace them w/members of Chastain crew. Chastain will have a mix of crew members who were on 00/7.

ControlCar

^^^i saw (not on Twitter…..just saw screenshot from Pockrass)
That 12car and 21car crews also affected
(Subbing out 12/21 crew members for 1car’s crew)
Not huge factor
But might make me think twice between
1/42/12/21
But what do I know

dandr

^^^i saw (not on Twitter…..just saw screenshot from Pockrass)
That 12car and 21car crews also affected
(Subbing out 12/21 crew members for 1car’s crew)
Not huge factor
But might make me think twice between
1/42/12/21
But what do I know
Bob Pockrass@bobpockrass

In other pit crew news, Penske has swapped the front tire changer for Blaney and DiBenedetto starting this weekend at Richmond. Josh Frankos now on the Blaney car as front tire changer.

ControlCar

^^^^yeah yeah yeah
Thanks Dandr
What I’m trying to state
Mixing up crews at end of season will do nothing for continuity of pit stops
Small tidbit of race(maybe more)

Last edited:

Ank Racing

^^^^yeah yeah yeah
Thanks Dandr
What I’m trying to state
Like you ,when I saw this on Twitter I was mostly concerned for Chastain. It is a valid concern, I think! — not sure it is enough of one to change picks! —or is it?
Guess we will know post race! Anyone else have a take on this?

dandr

^^^^yeah yeah yeah
Thanks Dandr
What I’m trying to state
I agree 100%. One would think crews would be in "a bubble" at this point to prevent contracting COVID.